Scotland’s Leading Independent Courier Company - THE distribution solution

24/7 Service 0845 123 1230*

Independent Couriers Make Shortlist for Green Transport Award

Book Delivery

An emphasis on an environmentally friendly culture and a commitment to innovative green thinking has landed Scotland’s largest independent courier a place on the shortlist for an award that seeks to promote environmental innovation in Scotland.

The VIBES (Vision In Business for the Environment in Scotland) Awards, are held each year to recognise and showcase best practice for businesses in the country, have selected Eagle Couriers for consideration in the Transport Category.

This award takes into account environmental, social and economic benefits enjoyed by the companies as well as the businesses’ commitment to and innovation in reducing their impact on the environment.

Jerry Stewart, Director at Eagle Couriers, said: “We try to be conscious of the environment in everything we do here at Eagle, so to be recognised by the VIBES Awards is hugely gratifying.

“The transport industry in Scotland has to take responsibility for its impact on the environment and help protect our beautiful country. We are delighted to be included in those leading the way in this regard.”

Eagle will hit a series of targets by annually recycling 650 used tyres, 1100 pallets and 1500 litres of oil, waste that previously would have been sent to landfill sites preserving the landscape and cutting energy usage in processing.

The company also encourages all clients to accept electronic invoicing – a figure currently at 75 per cent, with the remaining 25 per cent regularly asked to switch  from paper statements  to help the firm become paper-free by 2020. This same drive to reduce reliance on paper extends to its drivers – with XDAs used to record all job information, vehicle tracking and progress.

Jerry added:“In the past year we’ve made free deliveries to food banks and even delivered a Christmas tree to a CHAS hospice.”

In early 2015 the firm also put drivers through the energy saving trust’s FuelGood driver training scheme – an initiative that can result in a 15 per cent average MPG improvement on the day of training – studies suggesting that a drivers will typically saving up to six per cent.

Lower vehicle emissions, with improved fuel efficiency, result in improved air quality as a by-product, helping to lower Scotland’s carbon footprint, bringing wider social benefit.

The awards are to be presented on 8 November in a high profile ceremony in the Radisson Blu in Glasgow and winners will be considered for the prestigious European Business Awards for the Environment (EBAE) that are held every two years

The VIBES Awards are a partnership between Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), The Scottish Government, Energy Saving Trust, Highland & Islands Enterprise, Scottish Enterprise, Scottish Water, Zero Waste Scotland and the 20:20 Climate Group.

VIBES is further supported by CBI Scotland, the Institute of Directors (IoD), the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) Bright Green Business and Quality Scotland.

Please call us on 0845 123 1230*

for advice on which service best suits your needs